Boat Registration British Virgen Islands
The British Virgen Island registration is recognized worldwide, the BVI is a member of the Red Ensign Group of British Registrations, which means any boat registered in the BVI is a British Ship and entitled to fly the Red Ensign Flag and that gives your ship protection by Royal Navy and support by the British Diplomatic/Consular.
Who can register with the BVI registration?
BVI Vessel registrations are available to citizens of and companies registered in:
- The BVI
- The United Kingdom and its Crown dependencies and overseas territories
- A member of the European Union (EC) or European Economic Area (EEA)
- The Caribbean Community and the Organization of Eastern Caribbean States.
Often clients opt to set up an incorporated BVI company for the sole purpose of holding a ship, the benefits of vessel being hold by a BVI company are:
- protection of asset from confiscation orders from foreign governments
- no disclosure or minimum capital requirements
- ease of maintaining and operating the BVI company
- confidentiality and anonymity for the shareholders and directors of the BVI company
Which documents are needed to register a vessel in the BVI:
- Original bill of sale
- Original builders’ certificate or Ce certificate
- Certificate of Survey and Tonnage Measurement, If the vessel is over 24 meters an International Tonnage Certificate (ITC69) is required.
- Certificate of Incorporation (if company)
- Deletion of previous registration
- All documents need to be notarized and also if documents are not in English, they need to translated and notarized.
- Application to register
- Declaration of Eligibility
- Closed Transcript and an extract of register if the vessel is coming off a Red Ensign Register
Which vessels can be registered in the BVI
- Cargo ships of unlimited tonnage
- Yachts of up to 3000 gross ton
- Vessel previously registered under category 2
- Pleasure crafts and yachts up to 400 gross which is about maximum 45 meters
- Cargo and commercial craft of up to 150 gross which is about 24 meters in length.